Newspaper Articles and Media Coverage
Following are newspaper articles written by CBPS as well as media coverage of our work:
- The Times of India published an article titled, ‘40% of girls aged 15-18 not attending school: Report’ on 25 January 2020. It was published on the account of International Day of Education and National Girl Child Day. On the occasion of International Day of Education this year, here is a factsheet titled, ‘Status of School Education Financing In India’ based on our research that argues for higher and better public investment in school education.
- Outlook published an article by Ms. Kushboo Sharma and Mr. Mahesh Choudhary titled, ‘Understanding Jawaharlal Nehru in the era of propaganda and misinformation about him’ on 13 November 2019.
- Business Standard published an article by Dr. Jyotsna Jha and Mr. Madhusudhan B V Rao titled, ‘Can India’s education budget fund increased spending in new policy?’ on 10 September 2019.
- IndiaSpend published an article by Dr. Jyotsna Jha and Mr. Madhusudhan B V Rao titled, ‘India’s Education Budget Cannot Fund Proposed New Education Policy’ on 10 September 2019.
- ‘Child nutrition: Low spend leaves Karnataka in Lurch’ was published in Deccan Herald on 30 August 2019. It was on account of the CBPS launch of the report on Public Expenditure on Children in India – Trends and Patterns
- ‘Karnataka is lacking in child nutrition’ was published in Bangalore Mirror on 30 August 2019. It was on account of the CBPS launch of the report on Public Expenditure on Children in India – Trends and Patterns
- ‘Karnataka stands fourth in child development: Report’ was published in The Hindu on 30 August 2019 on account of the CBPS launch of the report on Public Expenditure on Children in India – Trends and Patterns
- Dr. Niveditha Menon was asked for quotations by the Times of India for an article titled, ‘UNPAID LABOUR: Experts want to quantify the value of work done by homemakers’. It was published on 7 July 2019.
- An article by Dr. Jyotsna Jha and Ms. Puja Minni has been published in Prajavani on 31 May 2019. It is on the Supreme Court Ruling on Aadhaar and Right to Education Admissions in Karnataka.
- NDTV covered Difficult Dialogues 2019 on 17 February 2019. CBPS along with Difficult Dialogues organised a panel titled, ‘Education for All: Inclusion in Education’ on 1 February 2019.
- IndiaSpend published an invited piece by Dr. Jyotsna Jha and Mr. Madhusudhan B V Rao titled, ‘Funding For Teacher Training Down 87% In 6 Years, As India’s Central Expenditure On Education Declines’ on 5 February 2019.
- NDTV published an article titled, ‘Difficult Dialogues Looks At Value Education, Girls Drop-Out Ratio, RTE’ on 2 February 2019. It is based on the panel that CBPS organised with Difficult Dialogues titled, ‘Education for All: Inclusion in Education’ on 1 February 2019.
- Corporate News For U covered the 20 years Celebration of CBPS on 15 March 2018.
- Bangalore News Network (BNN) covered the 20 years Celebration of CBPS on 14 March 2018.
- Bangalore News Network covered the CBPS GrOW film screening for media titled ‘Conversation Among Equals’ on 28 February 2018.
- Press Release Watch covered the CBPS GrOW film screening for media titled ‘Conversation Among Equals’ on 27 February 2018.
- ‘With proper supervision sustainable development is possible’ was covered in Prajavani on 30 August 2017 on account of the workshop held by CBPS in collaboration with UNICEF Hyderabad Office titled ‘Monitoring Progress towards SDGs – Resources and Beyond’.
- Dr. B R Ambedkar School of Economics – ‘Wish it does not become an island of excellence’ by Dr. Jyotsna Jha was covered in Prajavani on 14 April 2017.
- Balancing Monetary Policy and Market Operations was covered in Vijay Karnataka on 31 March 2017 on account of the CBPS Annual Endowment Budget Lecture 2017.
- Insurance and irrigation schemes won’t fix mono-cropping problems has been covered in The Times of India on 16 March 2017.
- Niveditha Menon was a panelist along with Dr. Ashish Verma (Associate Professor, Transportation Engineering Department,Indian Institute of Science) and Dr. Sudhira H.S (Director,Gubbi Labs) at a meeting called Bus Bhagya Beku! – Janara Budget Goshti and has been covered in Prajavani on 13 March 2017. The title of the article is ‘Increase the number of buses and reduce the fares’.
- Two of CBPS’s research studies on Right To Education(RTE) Act has been covered in Citizen Matters (an online Bangalore based paper) on 6 February 2017.
- CBPS Team which visited Gattu for field work (Mid-term review for a Tata trust grant to M.V. Foundation) received press coverage in Andhra Jyothi and Namaste Telangana on 1 February 2017.
- CBPS Annual Seminar held on 21 January 2017 received press coverage in The Hindu.
- ‘The status of Anganwadi’s in four districts in Karnataka’ was published in Vijay Karnataka. This was also for the CBPS Annual Seminar which was held on 21 January 2017.
- Prof. Vinod Vyasulu, CBPS Board Member has published an article in Deccan Herald on Fallout of ruling on surge pricing on 16 August 2016.
- CBPS Annual Endowment Lecture on Gender and Development 2016 was covered in Prajavani on 14 May 2016.
- Reducing Child Marriage in India – A model to Scale up results – New Delhi 2016 a report by CBPS and UNICEF has been covered in The Times of India (Ahmadabad Edition) on 29 March 2016.
- ‘The road ahead for infrastructure’ by Jyotsna Jha and Madhusudhan B V Rao was published in Deccan Herald – Business Matters on 20 March 2016.
- Jyotsna Jha and Niveditha Menon’s article has been published in The Economic and Political Weekly (March 19, 2016 – on page 21) titled ‘Why It Is Important to Retain an Independent Mahila Samakhya Programme’.
- ‘Government has let down Social Sectors’ was published in Prajavani on 19 March 2016 on page 5.
- Jyotsna Jha’s article has been published in The Times of India on 19 March 2016.
- ‘Less Grants for the development of children’ was published in Prajavani as on 18 March 2016.
- Jyotsna Jha’s article on Public Expenditure on Children in Karnataka has been published in The Hindu, Bengaluru on 17 March 2016.
- Upgrade healthcare service quality, say experts by Srinivas Alamuru and Jyotsna Jha has been published in The Hindu, Bengaluru on17 March 2016.
- Jyotsna Jha’s article on ‘Call for gender-responsive monitoring of all schemes’ has been published today in The Times of India (Bangalore) on 11 March 2016 .
- CBPS Response to the Budget 2016-17 was covered in Prajavani on 2 March 2016.
- On 17 February 2016, Hindustan Exclusive (Muzaffarpur) published an article on Women’s Empowerment in Bihar, with a reference to CBPS Study on Mahila Samakhya. Jyotsna Jha, CBPS and Edgard Rodriguez, IDRC, Canada attended Mahila Samakhya’s Federation meeting at Muzaffarpur.
- Siddhramaiah’s 1000 days in office: Through the Budget Lens written by Dr. Jyotsna Jha and Mr. Madhusudhan B V Rao was published in Prajavani on 16th February 2016
- Our Seminar on Budgeting for Expenditure and Mobilizing Revenues held on 6 February 2016 was covered by Prajavani and Internet News For You
- Annual Seminar held on 9 December 2015 was covered by Prajavani
- Main Findings of the District Human Development Report for Bangalore Rural was discussed in opinion columns of Prajavani and The Times of India
- District Human Development Report for Bangalore Rural, prepared by CBPS, was released by Krishna Byre Gowda, Minister In Charge for the District on 11 September 2015. Prajavani covered the event.
- Our Consultative Workshop on National Urban Health Mission on 30 September 2015, got media coverage in The Hindu, Deccan Herald, Bangalore Mirror and This Week Bangalore
- Annual Endowment Lecture on Gender and Development in memory of Dr. Poornima Vyasulu was covered in Citizen Matters (an online Bangalore based paper) on 14 May 2015.
- Annual Endowment Lecture on Budgets was held on 25 April 2015 with Jairam Ramesh as the Speaker. The Deccan Herald covered this event.
- The Pre-Budget Consultation workshop for enhancing budget allocation for 0-6 years, conducted on 31 December 2014 was covered by Prajavani
- Annual Seminar held on 4 & 5 December 2014 was covered by The Hindu and Prajavani
- The Outlook carried out an article by Vinod Vyasulu on higher tax rates for those with higher incomes in February 2013
- The National Medical Journal of India carried an Editorial by Vinod Vyasulu on government financing of health in India in 2011.
These toolkits for local governance and budget analysis were developed by CBPS for conducting training workshops:
Annual Seminar 2017 Presentations:
Annual Seminar 2015 Presentations:
Annual Seminar 2014 presentations: